Taking the stairs may be hard work, but stair design doesn’t have to be. Best in American Living Award winners have successfully showcased intricate and elegant stair details over the years. Take a look at some award-winning stairs below, and draw inspiration for your own.
1. Memorial Moroccon – Gold tiles interspersed among neutrals add detail to this royal design. With every inch thoughtfully addressed and designed, a detailed handrail balances a smooth-as-ice underside.
2. Liseter Clubhouse – Pay close attention to how the vertical balusters meet the landing in this community facility helical stair.
3. Pine Creek Place – It’s hard to say if it’s the materials, colors or design that makes us swoon over this stair at first glance. What makes this staircase shine is it’s innovative use of an otherwise wasted material. Weathered oak slats, used to acclimate the interior pine wall siding, became the cladding for the accent wall of this stair.
4. Adelinde – Glass rails give this stair a deceptively light vibe, while dark-stained wood treads and metal fixtures ensure that this stair is a modern work of art.
5. A Hilltop Stunner – Treads appear to be barely fixed to the wall in this stair, and beams of light streaming through elevate the entire design.
6. Contemporary Lakeside – A cleverly design tread makes this staircase appear robust and sturdy. Look closely at the reverse stairs, and you’ll notice a pseudo-riser that isn’t connected to the stair below but instead gives the treads the appearance of depth.
Next time you’re in one of these homes, take the stairs. You won’t be disappointed!
Alexandra Isham is the Design Program Manager at NAHB.