Architect/Designer | Patrick Ahearn Architects
Builder | Rosbeck Builders Corp
Photographer | Greg Premru Photography
In the historic district of Edgartown on the island of Martha’s Vineyard, this property includes the restoration/renovation of an original 1700s antique Cape house, the restoration of a small barn reimagined as a pool cabana, and the new construction of a carriage house. The restoration began with raising the house, creating a finished basement, with theater, wine cellar, and bar.
Setting the floor joists into the foundation allowed for an increase in ceiling height. The team preserved the historic elements that define the full Cape style. At the rear of the house, a circa-1909, one-story addition was removed and replaced with a new two-story wing that is more historically accurate and complements the scale of the original 1700s Cape house.
The two front rooms were preserved, as well as their original intended use as an office and guest bedroom; the stairs were relocated to open the entry foyer and to create a spine leading through the remainder of the home to the new wing designed with an open floorplan. The new wing offers a fold-away Nana Wall, which opens out onto a new bluestone, terraced pool area connecting the primary gathering areas to the central outdoor living space.