Originally called upon to generate ideas on how to “spiff” up the existing kitchen in this 12-year-old custom contemporary craftsman home, the project team ended up completely remodeling the kitchen area using upscale and durable finishes that would be a better fit and accentuate the well-appointed home.
The client, a family of five, was used to having weekly gatherings. In this house, the kitchen was not the main focus, but it was an integral part of gathering and socializing for the family. From the beginning, the original maple cabinets and granite tile countertops looked dated and were now showing wear. The home already had an open layout with wonderful views, so the team worked to create a kitchen that would take advantage of these existing features.
The original kitchen was lacking in style, fit, and finish, and the refrigerator location was awkward, pinching the user up against the countertop. The team chose to relocate the new refrigerator so the doors would open easily and the user could maneuver through the work area more efficiently. A gas range and separate microwave convention oven were installed, and additional countertop space was added near the microwave and refrigerator. The island now serves as a gathering area and separation between public and work space. It was important to incorporate a refined contemporary craftsman style using high-quality durable products, so the team chose stylish cabinets with a conversion varnish finish and mixed granite and engineered stone for their appropriate usage and location. They also added high-efficiency LED lighting throughout the kitchen.
- Create a functional entertaining kitchen
- Incorporate more high-quality durable products and finishes
- Integrate the kitchen into the already upscale contemporary craftsman style home
- Give some separation and definition to the kitchen area
- Use contemporary materials and colors that honor a craftsman style
- Provide superior lighting in a high vaulted ceiling kitchen
- Relocate the existing awkward placement of the refrigerator
- Enlarged the multilevel island as a focal gathering area/work area
- Mix stained cherry cabinets with painted pewter island
- Add efficient LED lighting in multiple layers
- Swap refrigerator and oven location
- Verde Karzi 3cm granite as featured on island
- Lagos Blue Caesarstone perimeter countertops
- Burnt Sienna stained Cherry and Sandhill sage painted maple cabinetry
- Rejuvenation Mission style hardware
- Brizo Solna motion sensing faucets
- Pental Supergres Everstone mosaic tile
- LED light fixtures throughout
Remodeler: Neil Kelly Company
Location: Lincoln City, Oregon
Photographer: Steve Smith Photography