Square footage: 2,676
Baths: 3 ½
Green certification(s): NGBS-Emerald, LEED for Homes-Platinum, Energy Star Version 3, EPA WaterSense, EPA Indoor airPlus, DOE Challenge Home
Featured this week is The Performance House, submitted by Preferred Builders Inc.and located in Old Greenwich, CT. A 2014 Green Awards Overall Winner for Single Family: Custom, The Performance House has brought green design into the home without compromising traditional features and conveniences. Listed below are some of the more unique green features encompassed in its design that help to make the project a success.
10 of The Performance House’s green features
- A WaterSense irrigation system and controller that tailors the irrigation system to live site conditions
- A high-efficiency hydronic HVAC system
- An eMonitor energy management system to allow for detailed and easily accessible electricity usage data for the home
- An electric car charging station
- 7.44kW PV panels
- Drought tolerant landscaping and permeable surfaces
- Continual fresh air circulation through a low watt ERV unit
- Roof insulation of at least R-52 and wall insulation of between R-23.7 and R-31.5
- Water conserving and EnergyStar appliances throughout the home
- Use of renewable and recycled materials (recycled glass incorporated into concrete, for example)
Find out how your green project can win Best in Green in the newly announced NAHB Green Awards here: www.nahb.org/greenawards.